Skip to main content

Featured

Fluffy Banana Pancakes with Strawberry Compote

I love mornings. I am definitely one of those people who wakes up an hour early so that I can have a coffee by myself before everyone else wakes up. And I love mornings that start with a cooked breakfast, especially pancakes. But pancakes aren't always the healthiest option, and oftentimes leave you feeling overfed and full of sugar. These are a lighter, healthier option with no refined sugar while not scrimping on flavour. I have tweaked a few things in this  recipe in the BBC summer diet plan  to create this recipe, and I think it is better for the edits (although the added honey does add a few calories). Banana Pancakes with Strawberry Compote Serves 2-3 Time: 20 minutes 20 strawberries 2 TBSP water 4 tsp honey 2 smashed bananas 60g plain flour 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda 2 eggs 50ml milk Take the tops off the strawberries and cut them in quarters. Place the strawberries, water, and 3 tsp of the honey in a small saucepan. Smash the strawberries a little and b

Fully Loaded Rösti


I first saw a rösti in my BBC Good Food magazine, then I saw Mary Berry make it, and it looked so simple and so easy that I had to give it a go. Well...it is easy when you know a few things. Four different rösti attempts later in ONE week, and I have FINALLY got my recipe right.

I loved the idea of the rösti being a blank slate (it is just shredded potato really) which you can really put almost anything in to make it your own. Being American, naturally my first thought was bacon (of the streaky variety for you Brits), and then I thought about how I hadn't had a loaded baked potato since I've been in England, and bang! I had an idea for a fully loaded rösti.


Actually executing that idea, however, took a bit of work. The first one I made was nice and brown on the outside, but wasn't cooked fully on the inside. The second was burnt. The third didn't crisp. Finally, the fourth one was right. And now that I've got it completely sorted, I have to tell you, this is delicious! I will be adding this to my regular repertoire of weeknight dinners when I'm craving something a bit less healthy.

The trick to röstis has two steps: you have to wring out the shredded potato extremely well or it won't crisp, and you have to fill the pan with your ingredients or enough steam won't be trapped in the centre and you'll have crunchy potato.


Without further ado, here's the recipe, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Fully Loaded Rösti

Ingredients:
4 streaky bacon rashers
4 Maris Piper (or other starchy type) potatoes
1 TBSP chopped chives
1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
Large pinch of salt and pepper

1. In a 24cm frying pan, fry the bacon until crisp. Remove onto a paper towel-lined plate to cool.

2. Peel and coarsely shred the potatoes with a box grater. Place them in a clean tea towel and wring out extremely well over the sink. Put potatoes into a clean bowl, add the chives, cheese, salt, and pepper. Crumble the bacon and add. Mix well.

3. When the frying pan you cooked the bacon in is cool, wipe out most of the fat with a paper towel. Place over LOW heat. It should be the lowest your stove top will go otherwise the rösti will burn. Pat the potato mixture into the frying pan in a circle shape. The potato should take up all of the pan.

4. Cook over low for about 10 minutes until the underside is crisp and nicely browned. Flip with very large spatula, or fish spatula. Cook on the underside for another 10 minutes until browned.

5. Garnish with sour cream or crème fraiche and a few chives. Serve and enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts