Skip to main content

Featured

Fluffy Banana Pancakes with Strawberry Compote

I love mornings. I am definitely one of those people who wakes up an hour early so that I can have a coffee by myself before everyone else wakes up. And I love mornings that start with a cooked breakfast, especially pancakes. But pancakes aren't always the healthiest option, and oftentimes leave you feeling overfed and full of sugar. These are a lighter, healthier option with no refined sugar while not scrimping on flavour. I have tweaked a few things in this  recipe in the BBC summer diet plan  to create this recipe, and I think it is better for the edits (although the added honey does add a few calories). Banana Pancakes with Strawberry Compote Serves 2-3 Time: 20 minutes 20 strawberries 2 TBSP water 4 tsp honey 2 smashed bananas 60g plain flour 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda 2 eggs 50ml milk Take the tops off the strawberries and cut them in quarters. Place the strawberries, water, and 3 tsp of the honey in a small saucepan. Smash the strawberries a little and b

Hello Blogo-Sphere!

Hello to everyone out there! I'm Ali, an American living in England who loves to cook. I'm very much new to it, but my enthusiasm is endless. I hope you enjoy following me on my adventure to improve my recipe bank and skills!

My first post is about this gorgeous cake that I made this weekend:


This cake is the Vanilla Cake with Ermine Icing in Nigella Lawson's 'At My Table', and let me tell you: I am a complete convert to ermine buttercream! It's absolutely divine. The texture is completely smooth, the taste is melt-in-your-mouth deliciousness, and the colour is a beautiful blank slate. I've added roses for a safe (they're edible if you wanted to eat them) pop of colour.

The base of ermine icing is a mix of flour, sugar, and milk. I won't post Nigella's recipe here (obviously), but you can find other recipes on the internet like this one from Serious Eats. But I definitely suggest going to buy Nigella's book anyway! It's absolutely gorgeous, and I could honestly read (or listen to) her all day. This is the third recipe I've made, and every one of them has been gorgeous. Thanks Nigella!


The roses on top of the cake are from a local florist. Honestly, that place has only been open for five days, and I'm already addicted. I love local businesses that support the community, and in addition to being a florist this place has a cafe which sources from other local businesses. Every time I go in is an absolute treat! It's not going to be good for my waist line (haha).

I'm looking forward to sharing my cooking experience with you guys, as well as the recipes that are my own. Please feel free to comment if you have a good recipe, or want to tweak mine! Food is very much a collaboration--it has always been to bring communities together, so let's continue that here. Thank you for reading! :)

Comments

  1. I started reading your blog this morning... I love it! I've been retired 5 years now, and I'm cooking more than I used to, but my husband is the better cook (although he doesn't bake). Maybe you will inspire me to some new cooking adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, thank you so much! I'm really pleased that you're enjoying the blog. I hope you do try out some of the recipes! Please let me know how they go.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts