Skip to main content

Featured

Fluffy Banana Pancakes with Strawberry Compote

I love mornings. I am definitely one of those people who wakes up an hour early so that I can have a coffee by myself before everyone else wakes up. And I love mornings that start with a cooked breakfast, especially pancakes. But pancakes aren't always the healthiest option, and oftentimes leave you feeling overfed and full of sugar. These are a lighter, healthier option with no refined sugar while not scrimping on flavour. I have tweaked a few things in this  recipe in the BBC summer diet plan  to create this recipe, and I think it is better for the edits (although the added honey does add a few calories). Banana Pancakes with Strawberry Compote Serves 2-3 Time: 20 minutes 20 strawberries 2 TBSP water 4 tsp honey 2 smashed bananas 60g plain flour 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda 2 eggs 50ml milk Take the tops off the strawberries and cut them in quarters. Place the strawberries, water, and 3 tsp of the honey in a small saucepan. Smash the strawberries a little and b

A Review of BBC Good Food's Jam Tarts


You guys, go and get this month's issue of BBC Good Food magazine! I'm a subscriber, and love the mag in general, but this issue is particularly good. I'd go as far to say it's my favourite because of the easy meals for one or two. Plus, if you're short on money this month, it's got lots of ideas to have flavourful food on a budget.

I made these jam tarts from the magazine today, and they are a fantastic treat for Valentine's Day. You can make them in advance, they're tasty, relatively easy to do, and don't cost a lot. If you have kids, they can 'help' out too.



The trickiest part of this recipe is the pie crust. I've always been scared before of pie crust dough because it is finnicky. But with a LOT of reading, I've found a few tips that help you make a good, flaky, crispy crust:

  • The ingredients have to be cold. Like really cold. If you're making pie crust, cube the butter and stick it and the flour in the freezer for 15 minutes before you start. If the butter isn't cold enough or a bit melty, gluten will develop and you will end up with a crust that isn't flaky.
  • Let the dough rest. Preferably overnight, but at least an hour.
  • Handle the dough as little as possible. I did use my hands to work the dough together a bit before I rolled it out as it is a really dry mixture. But again, you want to be careful because gluten.
  • And last, get it in the oven pronto after you put the filling in.
I do like this recipe for pie dough, but I think if I were to make it again, I may substitute some of the ingredients and add a bit of white wine vinegar or lemon juice. It's tasty, but the lemon would have been nice with the strawberry jam I used.


Oh, and let these babies cool a bit before you touch them. I had flashbacks looking at the hot jam of being a kid and sticking my finger in hot sugar. Jam and sugar BURNS and sticks, so if you do get the magazine and make these, please be careful.

Overall though, this recipe is an A+. I hope you get the magazine and try it at home!

Comments

Popular Posts