Skip to main content

Featured

Fluffy Banana Pancakes with Strawberry Compote

I love mornings. I am definitely one of those people who wakes up an hour early so that I can have a coffee by myself before everyone else wakes up. And I love mornings that start with a cooked breakfast, especially pancakes. But pancakes aren't always the healthiest option, and oftentimes leave you feeling overfed and full of sugar. These are a lighter, healthier option with no refined sugar while not scrimping on flavour. I have tweaked a few things in this  recipe in the BBC summer diet plan  to create this recipe, and I think it is better for the edits (although the added honey does add a few calories). Banana Pancakes with Strawberry Compote Serves 2-3 Time: 20 minutes 20 strawberries 2 TBSP water 4 tsp honey 2 smashed bananas 60g plain flour 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda 2 eggs 50ml milk Take the tops off the strawberries and cut them in quarters. Place the strawberries, water, and 3 tsp of the honey in a small saucepan. Smash the strawberries a little and b

Chocolate Tart and Italian Merengue


My hubby has been home for a vacation from working away for a bit, so I haven't been baking/blogging as much and I've had a bit of a hiatus from Instagram. This morning though, I was catching up on my feed when I saw these chocolate tarts by the Topless Baker. If you don't follow his feed on Insta, then you definitely should! Love the YouTube videos as well.

His tarts look much better than mine, but he has been baking for longer. :) Mine will get better with time and practice! Also, I love working with Italian merengue. It's so, so tasty. I could genuinely eat an entire bowl of just the merengue, and because the egg whites cook through the addition of hot sugar syrup, it's totally safe to do so.


I won't put an entire recipe here even though I tweaked the original one a bit because you can follow the link above for the Topless Baker's full recipe. But I am including an Italian merengue recipe because it is SO good and you should give it a go right now. :) And remember the baker's ratios I keep mentioning? Well, this merengue is two times the sugar as egg whites by weight and just a little bit of water. Easy!

Italian Merengue
Time: 10 minutes

100g egg whites
200g white sugar
75ml water

Place the sugar and water in a small saucepan and heat over medium low until the syrup reaches 118ÂșC (the soft ball stage). Do not stir the sugar at all.

Meanwhile, whisk the egg whites to peaks. When the sugar syrup is ready, remove it from the heat immediately and pour it over the egg whites, beating them the entire time. Whisk to stiff peaks. You can eat straight out of the bowl or toast it with a blow torch.

Comments

Popular Posts