Skip to main content

Featured

Fluffy Banana Pancakes with Strawberry Compote

I love mornings. I am definitely one of those people who wakes up an hour early so that I can have a coffee by myself before everyone else wakes up. And I love mornings that start with a cooked breakfast, especially pancakes. But pancakes aren't always the healthiest option, and oftentimes leave you feeling overfed and full of sugar. These are a lighter, healthier option with no refined sugar while not scrimping on flavour. I have tweaked a few things in this  recipe in the BBC summer diet plan  to create this recipe, and I think it is better for the edits (although the added honey does add a few calories). Banana Pancakes with Strawberry Compote Serves 2-3 Time: 20 minutes 20 strawberries 2 TBSP water 4 tsp honey 2 smashed bananas 60g plain flour 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda 2 eggs 50ml milk Take the tops off the strawberries and cut them in quarters. Place the strawberries, water, and 3 tsp of the honey in a small saucepan. Smash the strawberries a little and b

Day 2, or Where's My Salt At?!

Today's breakfast.
Day two of the June 2018 7-day diet by BBC Good Food Magazine! I woke up feeling quite refreshed and happy, but this is more likely to do with the 9 hours of sleep I got than the food. Yes, 9 hours...don't judge. I did weigh myself, but I don't want to put it here yet as I'll reveal numbers at the end of the week's diet. 

I wasn't hungry at all first thing in the morning, and it was only when I got back from my run that I started to get a few belly rumbles, so good job BBC diet for keeping me satiated! 

Today's breakfast was actually amazing and scratched a very big itch for sugar! The peaches at the bottom are gently simmered for a short time in juice from a freshly squeezed orange, which makes them juicy and tender while not being mushy. The granola is toasted with a bit of seeds, cinnamon, and ginger, which gives the whole thing a really unique twist and provides good texture. The idea here is to make these two things ahead of time, and just pull them out of the fridge/pantry when you need them, so it's a good go-to for busy people. And yes, the jar above is an old Nutella jar. Keep your glass jars, people!

Honestly, I could eat loads of this, which is a good thing since I have it on the menu again in a couple of days. It is filling, but I was quite hungry between breakfast and lunch, so I had a snack of one banana.

Lunch


Lunch was a bulgur wheat bowl topped with an avocado salad. Mine definitely didn't look like the picture in the magazine...how do they keep avocado looking so good?! Here's what it was supposed to look like:


Yeah, no where near the same. It was supposed to have quinoa in it, but quinoa is the devil's food, so I left it out. Bulgur has a bit of a couscous texture, and I LOVE couscous, so I was a bit sad at first to see how little the recipe gave me. In the end though, the amount the recipe calls for is plenty, and I was full and satisfied until dinner with no snacks. The avocado/tomato/olive mixture is really creamy and tangy, so it did feel like a 'cheat' meal in a way and I have leftovers for tomorrow. Two thumbs way up!

Dinner


Well, if the bulgur avocado bowl got two thumbs up, this one gets half a thumb. Dinner was Swedish meatballs with a beetroot and apple salad. I really missed salt here, and because part of the diet is to cut down on added salt, I stuck to not adding any. But man, these meatballs were plain, and the watery gravy did not help. I should have reduced it a bit more, but I did cook it like the recipe said to, and the gravy was basically water. And if you try this, do NOT get the 10% fat pork mince...go for 20%.

What did really surprise me though is the beetroot salad in the above photo. It was sooooo goood!!! Normally I'm not a massive fan of beetroot, but there's something about the beetroot/apple mixture that was downright addicting. It was crunchy, sweet, tangy, and a tad salty from the capers. I'm looking forward to eating this again! Beware though, the juices of beetroot stain, so clean them up quickly and don't get any on your clothes.

There was leftovers as well from the salad and meatballs for two more meals, so the £40 I spent on groceries is feeling much more acceptable.


Today in Numbers

Calories Eaten: 1,556
Calories Burned: 2,021 (535 active, 1,486 resting)
Total Steps: 11,759

Let's go day 3!!

Comments

Popular Posts